83% of New Yorkers support a Paid Sick Leave bill mandating that employers provide a small number of paid sick days to their workers. Though Mayor Michael Bloomberg would likely veto such a bill, support on the City Council is deep—there are enough votes to override his veto.
That’s great news for the workers of New York. Unfortunately, the Speaker of the City Council, Christine Quinn, doesn’t personally support the bill. And rather than simply voting against it, she’s using her power as speaker to stop the City Council from even VOTING on it.
Quinn is harming millions of workers, simply to please her allies in the 1%. It’s time to put a stop to this. It’s time to hold Christine Quinn accountable.
99 Pickets is planning a campaign of creative direct action, to highlight Quinn’s embrace of the 1% and rejection of the democratic process. If you’re interested in getting involved, please use the link below to sign up.
- 2/27 Voices of Protest Mark Fashion Week
- 2/13 Protesting Fashion’s Killers at NYFW
- 2/12 Bankrupt Domino’s Franchisee in New York To Pay $1.2 Million to 61 Pizza Deliverers
- 2/07 99 Pickets Monthly Meetings – 5 MINUTE SURVEY / 99 Pickets Reunión Mensual – ENCUESTA 5 MINUTOS
- 2/06 Press Release: U.S. Clothing Brands Must Compensate the Victims of Garment Tragedies in Bangladesh