Twitter Storm: Athleta, End the Deaths in Bangladesh!
Twitterbomb Athleta on Friday, June 21st! Skip to info
After the tragic deaths of over 1,200 Bangladeshi garment workers in factory fires and building collapses, U.S. retailers must take responsibility for the conditions at the factories that produce their clothing. The groundbreaking “Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh”, will take meaningful steps towards ensuring safe working conditions in garment factories. Unfortunately, most U.S. companies, including Athleta (owned by Gap Inc.), won’t sign the agreement.
What You Can Do
Participate in the Athleta Twitter Storm, Friday, June 21st! Sample Tweets
This Friday, Athleta is sponsoring “Solstice in Times Square: Athleta Mind Over Madness Yoga” in NYC, inviting customers to “find tranquility and transcendence” in the midst of Times Square, and encourages everyone to “enter our SEIZE THE SOLSTICE Instagram Contest… for a chance to win an Athleta gift card”.
With your help, we will change the conversation around Athleta’s #seizethesolstice event and urge Athleta to follow the lead of H&M, Joe Fresh, Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Zara, Primark and 40 other apparel and retail companies that have signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh.
How to Do It
Twitterbombing is fun and easy! Sign in to Twitter, tweet–making sure to include hashtag #seizethesolstice–to add your voice to the rallying cry for corporate responsibility. Below are some sample tweets you can use, or write your own!
At the bottom of this post, there are 3 images of yoga poses that illustrate Athleta/Gap Inc.’s complicity with unsafe and unsound conditions that caused the tragic Bangladesh garment factory collapses. You can use them to “enter” Athleta’s yoga pose contest. You could also take a photo of your own yoga pose — the “dying worker pose” perhaps.
- .@Athleta end the killing sign the #BangladeshAccord! Today’s pose: pic.twitter.com/ILNsNjkM6p #seizethesolstice
- #seizethesolstice w/today’s pose: pic.twitter.com/ILNsNjkM6p @Athleta end the killing sign the #Bangladesh Accord!
[Images by Blithe Riley]
- 11/25 On #BlackFriday, Join Walmart Workers Fasting for $15/hour
- 9/06 Solidarity Call-in to Liberato
- 7/27 “Rude Mechanicals’ Protests Protested”
- 7/27 Group supporting Bangladesh factory workers protests outside Children’s Place Secaucus headquarters
- 5/28 EMERGENCY ACTION: Call Liberato’s Owner and Defend Worker Organizing
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- January 2015
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014