Support LSSA Legal Workers on Strike!
On May 15, 2013 the Legal Services Staff Association, NOLSW/UAW Local 2320 went on strike.
The union represents over 200 lawyers, paralegals, social workers and support staff who work at Legal Services NYC at offices around the five boroughs providing legal services to low-income New Yorkers. We are on strike to prevent unnecessary cutbacks and to make sure that Legal Services NYC can continue to provide high quality legal services to low-income New Yorkers for years to come.
LSSA is asking allies to support them and their efforts to end this strike so that they can get back to work as soon as possible.
LSSA members want to continue providing excellent services and continue working with vital community organizations like yours, but Legal Services NYC’s management is threatening those services and the important work that our organizations have accomplished together. Legal Services NYC’s management has demanded cuts to healthcare and retirement, cuts that make it harder for experienced staff to stay in their jobs. Legal Services NYC has enough money right now to avoid cuts, but the organization’s top-heavy management structure shifts that money into expensive management positions and away from the front-line staff that actually works with your members and represents them in court or at hearings. This is not fair to staff or to the communities we serve. We are fighting for a fair contract that allows good, experienced staff to stay at Legal Services NYC and provide legal help to those who need it. We are writing because we need your help in this fight.
What can you do?
- Write a letter in support of the union to members of the Legal Services Board. Please send a copy of the letter LSSA.
- Call Raun Rasmussen and tell him that you support our efforts to win a fair contract. He can be reached at 646-442-3590.
- Join us on the picket line. There is a schedule of our events posted on NYC Central Labor Council’s website.
- Send LSSA photos of your members or staff holding signs of support!
- Follow our progress online at Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
- 11/25 On #BlackFriday, Join Walmart Workers Fasting for $15/hour
- 9/06 Solidarity Call-in to Liberato
- 7/27 “Rude Mechanicals’ Protests Protested”
- 7/27 Group supporting Bangladesh factory workers protests outside Children’s Place Secaucus headquarters
- 5/28 EMERGENCY ACTION: Call Liberato’s Owner and Defend Worker Organizing
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- January 2015
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014